Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dear Diarrhea: The Joys of Skype




So a few weeks ago my cell phone broke. The up, down and select buttons stopped working and you'd be surprised how much those three tiny things do. I cannot check or send text, check my missed call log or access my phone book for starters. All it can do is check my voice mail and pick up incoming phone calls. How did I get it fixed? Well I didnt because it was going to cost me about three hundred dollars. So while I save up to buy a new phone I needed to come up with a short term alternative.

Enter Skype (again). When I first moved to my current apartment and had sprint as a cell phone service I could not get any reception. To fix that tiny problem I signed up for Skype service. I guess you could call a VOIP since you are talking through your computer, but I feel like too many people would compare it to Vonage. Anyway I switched to T-Mobile and wonder upon wonder I had reception at my house and felt I no longer needed Skype.

Now here we go again. Why am i using Skype as my alternative? Well its costing me 7 a month to have a home phone. Skype is a service that runs through your computer. Yes your talking through your computer. You can use a usb phone, one of those stupid bluetooth headsets, or buy one of this big boxes to plug your regular home phone in. They even have wi-fi cell phones now that allow you to install Skype directly onto them.

So what is the advantage? Well if you know other people on Skype you can talk to them for free no matter where in the world they are. You can still call regular land lines as well. For an unlimited amount of calls to US & Canada a monthly subscription costs 2.95/ a month. Want to call Mexico too? 5.95 a month. The rest of the world? 9.95 a month. If you dont want to subscribe monthly they also have a pay as you go feature. 

What if someone from a land line wants to call me? Well thats why I signed up for the call in service. I can buy a phone number that will allow anyone to call my computer. The price varies depending on your subscription plan, but it is basically costing me 4 bucks a month. So between my phone number and the US subscription I am just paying $7 dollars a month to have a home phone. I even get free voice mail with it. 

I was talking to a friend of mine who (if I remember correctly) has Verizon and is paying around 45 dollars a month. He was switching over to Comcast and was going to save $9 a month. Thats still almost thirty dollars more then I am paying. The reception is fine and a usb phone is cheap. Bluetooth is even a better way to go. If your looking to cut down on your monthly costs and you still need to have a home phone then I can't imagine why you are not looking into this service yet.

Now lets say you live in southern Maine and one of your best friends lives in....Oh I dunno...let's say..... Ireland. Would you pay $9 a month to call your friend? Well I guess it depends on how often you call. Do you know what would be an even better idea? If your American friend in Ireland and you both had Skype and talked to each other over this amazing piece of software. If you both have skype and talk to each other through skype then your international calls will be free. FREE. YOU WOULD BE AN IDIOT NOT TO TRY IT OUT. FOR FREE. 

Anyways thats me doing my good part on introducing you to a great a little company & program that could save you a lot of money or be a cheap way to have a home phone.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Just to clear things up, I told my friend in Ireland about Skype when she first moved there last year...and she didn't get it. I'm still very willing and able and I use Skype at work all the time. We call other schools and classrooms for free, BUT I had to have the IT guys unblock it first and that was no fun at all.